EuroSys 2023 Conference Trip: Giuseppe Raffa

 I have recently travelled to Rome, where I had the opportunity to present the paper AWSomePy: A Dataset and Characterization of Serverless Applications at one of the workshops of the EuroSys 2023 conference. It has certainly been a positive experience, despite the odd feeling of being – for the first time ever – in my home country for work! The 1st SESAME workshop touched several aspects of Serverless Computing, my area of study, and it was very interesting, despite not having a focus on security. The organization of the event was very good, and I must say that I have particularly appreciated that the proceedings were published online on the day of the workshop, without having to wait for weeks.

My talk, which described the characterization work recently done with my supervisory team on the new dataset AWSomePy, was rightly included in the session Understand What You Optimize, and went reasonably well. I had a couple of questions, which gave me food for thoughts and – at the same time – a bit of reassurance, as the key points of the talk appeared to be clear enough. The main lesson learned from those questions is that our study, which was solely focused on serverless applications implemented in Python, should be expanded to include other programming languages, especially JavaScript.

As for the rest of the conference, EuroSys is not security-focused, but the benefit of this is that it offers a variety of topics, and security is one of them. I was also particularly pleased to see that there was a session dedicated to serverless computing, and another focused on cloud computing. Furthermore, EuroSys is a single-track conference, which, in my opinion, simplifies things a little bit, and avoids the disappointment caused by the fact that attending multiple sessions at the same time is obviously not possible. I would therefore recommend attending EuroSys in the future to anyone who has an interest in software systems.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-PhD thoughts on the Cyber Security field: Amy Ertan, 2017 CDT Cohort, now Cyber and Hybrid Policy Officer at NATO HQ in Brussels.

Remote working and Cyber Security: Georgia Crossland and Amy Ertan

New Publication: Remote Working and (In)Security?: Amy Ertan