ETH Zurich Conference on “The Political Economy of Cyber Conflict”: Nicola Bates

 An interesting fact hit me when I arrived in Zurich, that I didn’t really plan travel as diligently as I used to. Why indeed would I need to when my mobile phone gives access to information whenever I need it. Indeed my phone would pick up signal soon and give access to my onward journey details. Just need to wait and be patient.

Just a bit longer and it will connect. Keep heading out the airport and the phone will be there for you. Or maybe not. Okay, the old fashioned way it is then. Look at signs, use brain, modernity will reawaken surely at some point. No problem. Train to central Zurich then tram to hotel, easy. Indeed. Slight concern passing a riot truck with multiple armed police as I changed from tram to train but on track (indeed now power line too). Hang on riot truck and armed police… mmm… carry on… phone refresh… nope not alive yet.

Ah, my stop. Indeed the last stop. As I got off and the circular ending took the tram back into the city. Leaving me, well in the middle of nowhere by the looks of things. Lots of fields but no hotel. Google maps would be useful right now, refresh. Oh, I forgot old fashioned way, use brain. Okay, I briefly saw a picture of the hotel which looked high up, so let’s go the least pleasing option to the steep hill. Perfect – now raining. Sigh.

Well, just keep going now in the direction of basic guesswork rationale. At least I will have a good view of finding my actual hotel if I’m wrong, well that is unless the grey weather gets even worse. Maybe asking at the tram stop for directions would have been a more traditional, and useful, idea.

What is this though, flags. Surely a sign of a hotel ahead. Carry on, more flags. Do I see a sign? More walking, around and up, needed to be sure. Yes, that is it, definitely a hotel, and even better, the hotel I was looking for. Success, and without my phone.

Oh yes, my phone. Put settings to various configurations, switch off/on, nothing. Intractable problem. Internet connection now, but still no phone. What is this, Zurich, not covered by European mobile roaming charges. Ah, maybe one for the risk assessment checks next time.

And so to the conference. Two full days of fascinating talks, debates and discussions with others interested in cyber strategic studies. Lots of time given for breaks to meet with other participants as well as a conference dinner at a Guild Hall in central Zurich dating back to the Middle Ages.

Five years ago, at the previous conference held here, it was noted that scholars being at the intersection of cyber security and strategic studies felt like they didn’t really fit in anywhere. Now, in October 2023, with an attendee list of nearly 50, the area is much more populous with vibrant participation. Perhaps not truly embraced by its International Relations parent, however, a child now at least in its teenage years.

The fascinating agenda of four book presentation and eight panels discussing issues of intelligence, the war in Ukraine, spyware, bug bounties, cybercrime, power and of course the private sector were at the cutting edge of the field. A big thank you to ETH Zurich for organisation and invitation; such a positive, friendly, welcoming conference.

And, yes, of course I took the taxi back to the airport. Although more due to tram break down after Guildhall dinner than lack of phone signal, but that is indeed another story.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-PhD thoughts on the Cyber Security field: Amy Ertan, 2017 CDT Cohort, now Cyber and Hybrid Policy Officer at NATO HQ in Brussels.

Remote working and Cyber Security: Georgia Crossland and Amy Ertan

New Publication: Remote Working and (In)Security?: Amy Ertan