MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN CYBERSECURITY AS A CDT STUDENT: Stephanie Itimi

Promoting diversity in cybersecurity is crucial for the success and innovation of the field, and I am grateful to be part of a university community that recognises and values the importance of diversity. Their support has allowed me to not only learn and grow as a student, but also to contribute to creating a more inclusive and representative cybersecurity industry.
Through my foundation Seidea CIC, a career development platform aimed at diversifying the cybersecurity field, I have been able to support over 5,000 Black and Minority Ethnic women and girls worldwide as they enter the industry through career development programs and community engagement. Our partnerships with industry leaders such as KPMG, Sage, Plexal, and Accenture have allowed us to shape the talent pipeline, implement diversity and inclusion initiatives, and create internship opportunities within companies. My work with Seidea has earned me recognition as a 2022 Cyber Security Influencer by the Evening Standard, as well as a nomination for the Women of the Future 2022 ESG Rising Star Award by UN Women.

As part of my PhD thesis on "Uncovering the Everyday Security targeted at Domestic Workers in Lagos, Nigeria," I recently had the opportunity to visit Lagos and gain a better understanding of the security tools being used through a tour of new smart homes in Aja and discussions with academics at the University of Lagos. This visit has also led to my appointment as a Visiting Researcher at the University of Lagos later this year, allowing me access to their resources and library to assist with my thesis when I conduct my ethnography field trip. I have also recently joined an ethnographic reading group at Royal Holloway University, which has provided a strong foundation for my field scoping trip and will be a valuable resource as I continue to connect with my peers and learn more about the field of ethnographic research.

The increasing popularity and value of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) has also brought about a rise in instances of cyber-attacks and scams within the industry. In response, I have recently become interested in NFT security and the ways in which individuals can protect themselves from these threats. Alongside Jess Mclearn, a PhD student, and Sophina Kio-Lawson, a Royal Holloway Alumnus, I helped develop a NFT Security toolkit for beginners. This toolkit provides essential information and best practices for those looking to enter the NFT market, including tips on verifying the authenticity of an NFT, securely storing digital assets, and protecting against scams and fraud. Our efforts have been well-received, resulting in invitations to present workshops on NFT security at Microsoft and DLT Lounge, as well as a Tedx Talk at Soho House.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-PhD thoughts on the Cyber Security field: Amy Ertan, 2017 CDT Cohort, now Cyber and Hybrid Policy Officer at NATO HQ in Brussels.

Remote working and Cyber Security: Georgia Crossland and Amy Ertan

New Publication: Remote Working and (In)Security?: Amy Ertan